Skip to Main Content

Office of Mental Health

lifeSPAN logo

Toolkit Home | Smoking Cessation | Prevention | Activity | Nutrition | General Resources

Wellness Toolkit – Customer Relations

View Adobe Acrobat Version | Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

A toll-free resource for people who have questions or complaints about mental health services in New York.

New York State
David A. Paterson, Governor

Office of Mental Health
Michael F. Hogan, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Commissioner

The Office of Mental Health's Customer Relations Department receives approximately 600 telephone calls each month. Most are from people looking for information, but some callers are looking for help with a specific situation, while others are calling with a complaint.

Customer Relations is staffed Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., and is supplemented by an answering machine which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The answering machine will also pick up if the operators are busy with other callers. Individuals who leave a message will be contacted by Customer Service staff before the end of the next business day.

What do I do if I have a complaint?
If your complaint is about services you or someone you know is receiving, we suggest that you:

What does Customer Relations do with a complaint?
Generally, complaints are referred to field staff or to consultants for investigation. We attempt to complete all investigations within 30 days.

Are complaints helpful?
Yes! Complaints provide the Office of Mental Health with feedback about services and how they are provided. Complaints may highlight needed changes in the agency's policy, menu of services or method of providing services, or may show the need for staff training and development.

Have questions about mental health services?

Not sure who to call?

Not happy with the services you're getting?

Looking for a service provider?

Have a complaint?

Give us a call at Customer Relations 1-800-597-8481

Comments or questions about the information on this page can be directed to the Office of Consumer Affairs.