Ann Marie T. Sullivan, M.D., Commissioner
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
Clinical Advisories and Guidelines
- OMH has issued a Health Advisory-Clozapine: Managing Constipation and GI Hypomotility in an effort to raise awareness of the approaches for preventing, monitoring and treating constipation and gastrointestinal (GI) hypomotility associated with the use of clozapine.
- OMH issues a Health Alert for the 2013-2014 Flu Season. letter from Dr. Sederer advisory
- Update - Clinical Advisory Regarding Adult Homes Previously Issued to Psychiatric Inpatient Programs on June 12, 2012 On June 12, 2012, OMH issued a Clinical Advisory regarding discharges from hospitals licensed or operated by the Office of Mental Health (OMH) to certain Adult Homes licensed by the State Department of Health (DOH). After receiving comments regarding the Clinical Advisory, OMH has amended that Clinical Advisory to clarify several issues.
- Clinical Advisory Mixed use, larger scale congregate housing is an important and viable form of community living. However, there are times when the numbers of individuals with serious mental illness residing in certain types of housing result in housing experiences that are not clinically appropriate to the needs of such persons.
- During hot weather, people who take certain medications at risk People who are receiving antipsychotic medications are at increased risk for heat stroke and neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
- OMH Releases Guidance Memo on the Use of PRN Medications The Office of Mental Health recently released guidance for all hospitals under its jurisdiction, on the use of PRN medications. It is intended to replace all previous guidance and policy on this topic, including OMH Official Policy PC-530, "PRN for Agitation." It is effective immediately.
- OMH Issues Practice Advisory Addressing the use of ECT for Individuals under Age 18 This OMH Practice Advisory addresses the use of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) for individuals under the age of 18 years. The Office of Mental Health is distributing it as a directive for all State-operated psychiatric facilities, and as a practice advisory to other mental health care providers in New York State. (Letter | Advisory)
- OMH Letter to Families on the Use of Antidepressants in Children and Adolescents In 2004, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a warning and precautions to strengthen safeguards for children and adolescents because of an increased risk of suicidality in those treated with antidepressant mediations. In response to subsequent news reports, OMH developed a letter that could be used with parents and families to explain the FDA warning that now has been extended to young adults aged 24 or less. In light of the continuing need for information in this area, the original OMH letter has been revised.
- OMH Issues Clinical Advisory on Antipsychotic Medication Use in Adults With the increasing controversy surrounding the prescription of antipsychotic medications, the Office of Mental Health has issued a clinical advisory in an effort to raise awareness of benefits, risks, side effects and best practices for these medications.
- OMH Issues Advisory on Antipsychotic Medications
- OMH Releases Clinical Advisory, Cautions Against the Use of Antipsychotic Medication for Treatment of Dementia
While antipsychotics are the treatment of choice for positive symptoms like hallucinations and delusions in patients with schizophrenia, antipsychotics are not approved by the FDA for the treatment of dementia-related psychosis. OMH cautions against the use of both first and second generation antipsychotics in elderly patients treated for dementia-related psychosis or dementia-related behavioral disturbances.
- OMH Issues Clinical Advisory Regarding Cardiovascular Monitoring of Children and Adolescents Receiving Medication for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- OMH Guidance on Electroconvulsive Therapy presents a quality review process for State-operated psychiatric centers.
- Long Acting Atypical Anti-Psychotic Injections
- Letter to Family Members and Healthcare Providers, May 2007 The New York State Office of Mental Health provides the attached Advisory on the treatment of children and adolescents with second generation (SGA) (or novel or atypical) antipsychotic medications.
- The FDA has issued a Public Health Advisory for Adderall and Adderall XR
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Review Guidelines are for use by provider hospitals and facilities, based on the APA recommendations.