- AARP – A wealth of caregiver information
- Lotsa Helping Hands – An online tool for caregivers; assists in arranging for transportation, meals, etc. An intuitive interface- no training required.
- Family Caregiving 101 – Provides assistance, answers, new ideas and advice.
- Caregiver Stress Quiz   – Quiz to determine if you're feeling stressed or strained, and basic tools and skills.
- OASAS Seniors and Health – Provides seniors, their families and friends, professionals and other caregivers with information about the risks and harmful effects that older adults face regarding their use of alcohol, medications and other drugs.
- The Elderly and Alcohol – Various articles and studies on alcohol abuse and the elderly found on About.com.
- OASAS and New York's Seniors (PowerPoint) – PowerPoint presentation on working with aging client populations: Preventing, identifying and treating alcohol and substance abuse and supporting recovery.
- Evidence-Based Geriatric Psychiatry: An Overview
- Evidence-Based Practices in Geriatric Mental Health Care supports the efficacy of geriatric mental health interventions   – From the journal Psychiatry Services
- Benefits Checkup – A service of The National Council on Aging helps seniors with limited income and resources to find benefits programs that help them pay for prescription drugs, health care, rent, utilities, and other needs.
- Eldercare Locator – The first step to finding resources for older adults in any U.S. community. A public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging.
- New York State Senior Citizen's Resource Guide – New York State Office for the Aging guide to resource topics and links of interest to seniors.
- New York State Office for the Aging Local Offices – By county
- What is Elder Abuse – From the Administration on Aging, explains what elder abuse is, gives warning signs and additional resources and links.
- Frequently Asked Questions on Long-term Care by Plan Ahead New York.
- New York State Partnership for Long-term Care – A unique program combining long-term care insurance and Medicaid Extended Coverage that helps New Yorkers finance long-term care affordably.
- New York State Long Term Care Ombudsman and New York State Office for the Aging Help Line 1-800-342-9871
- New York Connects – Provides county level, consumer-centered access points to information and assistance for all individuals in need of long term care services.
- New York State Department of Health Long Term Care website has hotline phone numbers for adult homes, nursing homes and hospice.
Medicare and Prescription Drugs
- Department of Health and Human Services Official Booklet: Medicare and Your Mental Health Benefits
- New York State Department of Health - Medicare Part D Frequently Asked Questions
- Medicare Rights Center
Mental Health and Older Adults
- Mental Health America's Factsheet on Depression in Older Adults
- National Institutes of Health Senior Health Page on Depression – Speech-enabled site.
- Geriatric Mental Health Foundation Depression Recovery Toolkit – Contains links to the facts on late-life depression, talking to your doctor about depression, treatment options, paying for mental health services under Medicare and other related topics.
- Geriatric Mental Health Foundation brochure on anxiety
- The American Geriatrics Society Foundation for Health in Aging page on Psychoses, Schizophrenia, and Delusional Disorders
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) Toolkit on Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide among Seniors – Toolkit is broken up into 7 sections including a factsheet, training guides for professionals working in senior living communities, and a PowerPoint for residents and their families.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: Advocacy and Public Policy
- After Deployment – A mental wellness resource for service members, veterans, and military families.
- Family Caregivers of Vets – List and descriptions of resources and supports for veterans and their caregivers.
- Military Personnel & Their Families – New York State Office of Mental Health offers information and referral services for service members, their families, and veterans during deployment, reintegration, and post–deployment periods.
Wellness In The Elderly
- International Longevity Center: Sleep and Healthy Aging – A project that advances the awareness and understanding among health professionals and the public of the importance of sleep in older adults.
- New York State Adult Immunization Campaign – Locate a local flu clinic.
- New York State Office for the Aging Health Index – Offers information on aging well.
Comments or questions about the information on this page can be directed to the Bureau of Program and Policy Development/Division of Adult Services.