Bureau of Cultural Competence
The Bureau of Cultural Competence is dedicated to promoting effective changes in policy, procedure, and practices by the infusion of cultural and linguistic competency throughout New York State’s Mental Health system.
"To assist agencies with elimination of disparities within mental health for people of diverse backgrounds through training and technical support."
"Mental Health for all, disparities for none."
The Bureau of Cultural Competence integrates cultural competence through the following functions:
- Conduct comprehensive trainings on the importance of infusing cultural and linguistic competence throughout agency policies and clinical practices.
- Participate in agency workgroups and meetings to ensure cultural competence is implemented within program policies.
- Monitor the advancement of research through the Centers of Excellence.
- Provide technical assistance to OMH facilities as well as agencies licensed by OMH.
- Facilitate quarterly meetings between the Office of Mental Health and the Multicultural Advisory Committee.
Comments or questions about the information on this page can be directed to the Bureau of Cultural Competence.