Adult Behavioral Health Home and Community Based Services Application for Provider Designation
Thank you for your interest in becoming a New York State Adult Behavioral Health Home and Community Based Services (BH HCBS) provider. BH HCBS were developed collaboratively by New York State’s Office of Mental Health (OMH), Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS), and the Department of Health (DOH) as a part of the State’s Health and Recovery Plan (HARP) for individuals with serious mental health and substance use disorders.
An agency that has successfully completed the application and designation process will be given a BH HCBS provider designation status. This provider designation status identifies that your agency has attested to provide BH HCBS within the agency’s scope of practice and consistent with the criteria articulated in the BH HCBS manual. Your agency will only be designated to provide the BH HCBS that are included within your application and approved by the state.
The initial deadlines for applications were December 2014 for New York City and September 2015 for the rest of State. Applications received after December 2015 will be reviewed by NYS OMH and OASAS periodically for designation of intended services.
* Please note: This page is for providers who wish to apply for Adult BH HCBS Designation. If you would like to be designated for Children’s services, please use the Children’s HCBS/SPA Designation Application. If you do not have one already, you will need to obtain a userID to access the Application.
The BH HCBS application is completed online through the OMH portal, which requires an OMH user ID and passcode to access. The process for acquiring a user ID and passcode will vary depending on your agency license. Please refer to How to Access the BH HCBS Online Application for instructions on gaining access to the application.
If your agency would like to apply for new services or resubmit for denied services, please contact the Bureau of Program and Policy Development to have your existing application unlocked.
Tips to expedite the application and designation process
- Please review the BH HCBS Manual and BH HCBS Application Guide prior to completing the application
- Ensure that all components of the online application are completed with fidelity prior to submission
- Provide accurate contact information for agency representative that will respond expeditiously
- Provide a generic agency phone number that connects reviewers to alternative contact if initial contact is unavailable for follow-up questions
- Resubmit additional information requested during follow-ups expeditiously
- Maintain contact with BH HCBS program management team to ensure all follow-up information reflects a completed application
Tips for Navigating the Application
- The application best works with the following browsers:
- Use the arrows provided rather than browser’s "back option"
- Be sure to fill out all parts of the application so it is not flagged as incomplete, prolonging the designation process
- There is a save option on the portal, to allow re-entry for later completion
- The format allows you to answer the brief statements in a separate word document and copy and paste it to the application if needed
- For further assistance, please email the OMH Help Desk.